Monday, February 6, 2017

How does Shakespeare portray Hamlet's character?

Hey there! So for this assignment, I think it would be wise to emphasize diction, particularly because word choice is one of the leading reasons behind Shakespeare's continued relevance. The choice of words is incredibly significant in revealing a character's emotions, motivations, secrets, perspectives, biases, etc. Using specific words as opposed to others allows Shakespeare to develop Hamlet as a character. 


Let me give you six quotations with some brief notes to help you build your...

Hey there! So for this assignment, I think it would be wise to emphasize diction, particularly because word choice is one of the leading reasons behind Shakespeare's continued relevance. The choice of words is incredibly significant in revealing a character's emotions, motivations, secrets, perspectives, biases, etc. Using specific words as opposed to others allows Shakespeare to develop Hamlet as a character. 


Let me give you six quotations with some brief notes to help you build your assignment. 



  1. "Seems, madam? Nay, it is; I know not 'seems'" (I.ii)
    Development: Hamlet's mourning, relationship with mother


  2. "Frailty, thy name is woman!" (I.ii)
    Development: Hamlet's relationship with mother, perspectives on morality, logical skills


  3. "There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so" (II.ii)
    Development: Hamlet's perspective on morality, the development of certainty and uncertainty as a theme and major motivation


  4. "To be, or not to be, —that is the question:—
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them?" (III.i)
    Development: Hamlet's contemplation of suicide and revenge, religious beliefs and mores, uncertainty and doubt


  5. "Get thee to a nunnery: why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners? I am myself indifferent honest; but yet I could accuse me of such things that it were better my mother had not borne me" (III.i)
    Development: Hamlet's relationship with Ophelia, a potential split interpretation of Hamlet's awareness of the scene and trap set for him, further development of Hamlet's perspective on morality


  6. "Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
    And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest" (V.ii)

    Development: Affirmation of Hamlet's suspicions and actions

No comments:

Post a Comment