Friday, December 22, 2017

Anne writes strong opinions about Mrs. Frank and Peter van Daan. How well does she get along with each Peter and Mrs. Frank?

Mrs. Frank and Anne's relationship is as full of misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and strife as any young teenager's relationship with her mother. Anne often feels that her parents prefer the mature, quiet Margot over her. She is especially hurt by instances where she feels her mother is mocking her or leaving her out. She recalls with fury and despair slights like not being invited out with Margot and her mother before the war. Even though it seems that Mrs. Frank suffers from the struggles with her daughter, Anne often sees that emotion as manipulative:


"Yesterday Mother and I had another run-in and she really kicked up a fuss. She told Daddy all of my sins and started to cry, which made me cry too, and I already had such an awful headache. I finally told Daddy that I love "him" more than I do Mother, to which he replied that it was just a passing phase, but I don’t think so. I simply can’t stand Mother, and I have to force myself not to snap at her all the time, and to stay calm, when I’d rather slap her across the face." (10/3/1942.2)



Despite their strife, it does seem that Anne and her mother have a lot in common. They are both strong women who speak their mind and rarely hold back. This is likely a source of their conflict, but also a strong point of connection for them. 


When it comes to Peter, Anne goes through a big change in the novel. At first, she thinks he is too quiet and boring to make an interesting companion. As the months go on, though, Anne's lack of other friend options, loneliness, and maybe a bit of teenage hormones help to drive her and Peter together, first as friends and later as romantic lover interests. Anne writes about Peter in passionate terms often. However, she also notes that:



"I now know well that he was my conquest, and not the other way around. I created an image of him in my mind, pictured him as a quiet, sweet, sensitive boy badly in need of friendship and love! I needed to pour my heart out to a living person. I wanted a friend who could help me find my way again" (7/15/1944.9)



Anne seems to know that her and Peter's relationship stems mostly from necessity and not from compatibility and shared interests. 

1 comment:

  1. There are some simple things you can arm yourself with when you review competing dissertation editing services.

    ReplyDelete