Monday, August 19, 2013

Discuss the theme of freedom and forgiveness in The Tempest.

Freedom and forgiveness are both important themes in the play. The theme of freedom is best exemplified through the characters of Ariel and Caliban. Both characters are essentially enslaved by Prospero. Prospero uses Caliban to learn the island, then turns him into a slave when Caliban tries to rape Miranda. Propsero says,


Thou most lying slave,


Whom stripes may move, not kindness! I have used thee,


Filth as thou art, with human care, and lodged thee


In mine own cell, till thou didst seek to violate


The honour of my child (Act I, Scene 1).



Prospero releases Ariel from his captivity in the tree, but also forces him to serve. When Ariel mentions his freedom, Prospero says, “If thou more murmur'st, I will rend an oak/ And peg thee in his knotty entrails till/ Thou hast howl'd away twelve winters” (Act I, Scene 2). Prospero enslaves Caliban by torture and Ariel by threats.


Forgiveness is also an important theme in the play. Although his original intention was revenge, at the end of the play, Prospero forgives his brother for the suffering he has endured. Prospero says,



For you, most wicked sir, whom to call brother


Would even infect my mouth, I do forgive


Thy rankest fault; all of them; and require


My dukedom of thee, which perforce, I know,


Thou must restore (Act V, Scene 1).



Once he forgives everyone, Prospero realizes he should also forgive Caliban. When he says, "this thing of darkness!/ Acknowledge mine“ (Act V, Scene 1), he is admitting that Caliban belongs to him, and he forgives him for trying to rape Miranda. Prospero also realizes it is time to free Ariel. "My Ariel, chick,/ That is thy charge: then to the elements/ Be free, and fare thou well" (Act V, Scene 1). The play also ends with Prospero asking forgiveness of the audience: “As you from crimes would pardon'd be,/ Let your indulgence set me free” (Act V, Scene 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment