Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What do you know about South Korea and what is your opinion about it?

While I cannot answer this question from your perspective, I can tell you some things I have learned about South Korea and my personal feelings about this nation.


The name "Korea" comes from the name of the ancient kingdom of Goguryeo, or Goryeo. Korea was once occupied by Japan (beginning in 1910), but this territory was given up after the Second World War. At this time, the country was split into North and South Korea....

While I cannot answer this question from your perspective, I can tell you some things I have learned about South Korea and my personal feelings about this nation.


The name "Korea" comes from the name of the ancient kingdom of Goguryeo, or Goryeo. Korea was once occupied by Japan (beginning in 1910), but this territory was given up after the Second World War. At this time, the country was split into North and South Korea. Today, North and South Korea share many cultural similarities, but perhaps just as many differences, too! South Korea is far more modern and liberal than its northern counterpart, and has a rich culture which is enjoyed by people all over the globe.


South Korea's capitol city is Seoul, which is famous for busy nightlife, trendy fashions, and pop music. The pop song "Gangnam Style" refers to a wealthy district of Seoul called Gangnam.


South Korea has one of the highest life expectancies in the world, which many South Koreans attribute to their love of exercise and spending time outdoors combined with eating a healthy diet, full of whole grains and vegetables. One part of the Korean diet you might have heard of before is kimchi--a fermented and spicy cabbage dish, rich in probiotics and fiber!


The government of South Korea is democratic, and they have both a President and Prime Minister. South Korean culture values gender equality and has one of the best gender-parity rates for wages, but in some parts of the country girls and women are less likely to finish education or be employed as compared to men. 


Personally, I am quite interested in South Korean culture. I love to go eat meals at Korean restaurants and enjoy spicy stews like kimchi jigae. Someday I hope to visit Korea and experience the busy, modern cities as well as the tranquil countryside and tropical Jeju Island. I enjoy discussing culture with my South Korean penpal.

No comments:

Post a Comment