Thursday, December 3, 2015

The line "it is better to lose one's life than one's spirit" is used twice in the story. How does this quotation relate to determination?

One of the times that John uses that line is before he decides to cross the Hudson to enter the Place of the Gods (Manhattan).  John went east.  He saw the forbidden city.  He should be happy. He should be able to convince himself to go back to his village.  But he can't.  He still feels the need to enter the Place of the Gods.  John is also quite certain that if he does cross...

One of the times that John uses that line is before he decides to cross the Hudson to enter the Place of the Gods (Manhattan).  John went east.  He saw the forbidden city.  He should be happy. He should be able to convince himself to go back to his village.  But he can't.  He still feels the need to enter the Place of the Gods.  John is also quite certain that if he does cross the river and enter the city that he will die.  



"My journey has been clean. Now I will go home from my journey." But, even as I thought so, I knew I could not. If I went to the Place of the Gods, I would surely die, but, if I did not go, I could never be at peace with my spirit again. It is better to lose one's life than one's spirit, if one is a priest and the son of a priest.



Despite being terrified and feeling that he is going to his own death, John builds himself a raft and goes to the city.  He is determined to overcome his fears and reservations in order to do what he feels is his destiny or his calling.  John knows that if he goes home at this point, he will live the rest of his life with a restless spirit.  John isn't willing to live like that.  John would rather die trying to accomplish his goals that to live knowing he didn't do everything he should have done.  It takes a lot of bravery and determination to do what John did, because he didn't do what was easy and expected of him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment