Tuesday, December 29, 2015

What do we learn about Scout and Jem's characters in chapters 8 and 9 of To Kill a Mockingbird? What quotes support this?

In Chapter 8 of To Kill a Mockingbird, it snows in Maycomb. This is a rare occurrence, and Scout and Jem are mesmerized by it. The reader sees their childlike wonder as they play in the snow and build a snowman:


Jem scooped up some snow and began plastering it on. He permitted me to cover only the back, saving the public parts for himself. Gradually Mr. Avery turned white.


Using bits of wood for eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons, Jem succeeded in making Mr. Avery look cross. A stick of stovewood completed the picture. Jem stepped back and viewed his creation.



Full of mischievous ideas, the siblings create a snowman that looks like Mr. Avery, their cranky neighbor. With attention to detail, they make their Mr. Avery snowman appear angry.


Later in the chapter, Miss Maudie's house burns down. The siblings wait outside in the cold night air. Later, they find out Boo covered Scout with a blanket as they waited outside. The reader learns Jem does not seem to fear Boo, although Scout still does:



My stomach turned to water and I nearly threw up when Jem held out the blanket and crept toward me. "He sneaked out of the house—turn 'round—sneaked up, an' went like this!"



In Chapter 9, the reader learns that Scout and Jem do not completely enjoy Christmas. They like aspects of it, but there are also parts that they dislike:



Jem and I viewed Christmas with mixed feelings. The good side was the tree and Uncle Jack Finch. Every Christmas Eve day we met Uncle Jack at Maycomb Junction, and he would spend a week with us.


A flip of the coin revealed the uncompromising lineaments of Aunt Alexandra and Francis.



Scout and Jem spend every Christmas with Aunt Alexandra and her family at Finch's Landing. Aunt Alexandra often criticizes Scout. Both Scout and Jem do not like spending time with Francis, their cousin.


The reader also finds out that Scout is willing to fight anyone who insults her father, be it Cecil at school or her cousin Francis. She does this despite her father's warnings.



My fists were clenched and I was ready to let fly. Atticus had promised me he would wear me out if he ever heard of me fighting any more; I was far too old and too big for such childish things, and the sooner I learned to hold in, the better off everybody would be. I soon forgot.


Cecil Jacobs made me forget. He had announced in the schoolyard the day before that Scout Finch's daddy defended niggers. I denied it, but told Jem.


No comments:

Post a Comment