Tuesday, April 26, 2016

What are 3 quotes from To Kill A Mockingbird that prove Atticus is a caring father?

Atticus is the perfect father, not just a caring one. He is always there for his kids when they need him, but he does not let them get away with bad behavior either. He has never hit them as punishment because he's the type of man who would rather use logic and reason to change behavior. For example, after Scout's disastrous first day of school, Atticus listens to her woes. He calmly and carefully says the following:


"First of all. . . if you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person you consider things from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around in it" (30).



He doesn't scold her for almost beating up Walter Cunningham that morning, and he doesn't bring up the past after she embarrassed him at lunch, as well. He takes the teaching opportunity before him and keeps Scout's dignity in tact. 


Another time when Atticus is caring would be after Jem chops off Mrs. Dubose's camellia bushes with Scout's baton. Mrs. Dubose called Atticus a bad name and Jem went berserk on her yard. As a result, Atticus does not whip him, but says the following instead:



"Son, I have no doubt that you've been annoyed by your contemporaries about me lawing for ni***rs, as you say but to do something like this to a sick old lady is inexcusable. I strongly advise you to go down and have a talk with Mrs. Dubose" (104).



Some might say that this is the wrong way to talk to kids, especially Scout who thinks her father is sending Jem to his death. But again, he doesn't hit Jem. He teaches him how to take responsibility for his actions and then allows him to make things right. 


Finally, Atticus reads to Scout and puts her to bed on the night that Bob Ewell attacks her and Jem. The very end of the book shows Atticus putting a very sleepy Scout to bed, as follows:



"I willed myself to stay awake, but the rain was so soft and the room was so warm and his voice was so deep and his knee was so snug that I slept.


Seconds later, it seemed, his shoes was gently nudging my ribs. He lifted me to my feet and walked me to my room. . . He unhooked my overalls, leaned me against him, and pulled them off. He held me up with one hand and reached for my pajamas with the other. . . He guided me to the bed and sat me down. He lifted my legs and put me under the cover" (280-281).



Atticus can be the greatest example of a gentleman to his kids, teach them how to take responsibility for their actions, as well as think of other people, and then still put a little girl to bed at night. He's a very caring father.

No comments:

Post a Comment