Thursday, January 22, 2015

I'm writing a argumentative paper on eating disorders but not really sure what my position should be. All of the topics about eating disorders I...


That is such an interesting problem!  I have a few ideas.  You could perhaps make an argument over what causes these.  Or you could make an argument over the best mode of treatment.


I am not sure what causes eating disorders, but there are bound to be at least a few schools of thought on this.  Perhaps it is one's upbringing. Perhaps it is the media, which many people tend to blame. Eating disorders...


That is such an interesting problem!  I have a few ideas.  You could perhaps make an argument over what causes these.  Or you could make an argument over the best mode of treatment.


I am not sure what causes eating disorders, but there are bound to be at least a few schools of thought on this.  Perhaps it is one's upbringing. Perhaps it is the media, which many people tend to blame. Eating disorders might even have a genetic component. I don't know if any twin studies have been done on this issue. In any case, there may be one cause that you find more compelling, and you could argue that as the cause, taking care to let the reader know what the other theories are and why they are not correct.


In terms of treatment, I have read of many different kinds of treatment. People are sometimes sent away for treatment, isolated completely from their families.  Some people just get talk therapy. I am guessing there might be medications used, too, for eating disorders. There may be an argument to be made that one of these methods of treatment is better than the others.  Since eating disorders have become frighteningly common, there is a good chance there have been studies done on modes of treatment. Find one mode of treatment that you think is successful, or, alternatively, you could make an argument that only a combination of treatments, for example, medication and talk therapy, is the way to solve the problem.  I am aware that many insurers will cover only medication and not talk therapy, since medication is usually far less costly, and there is likely to be a good argument made about that.  


No matter what the subject, I guess the moral of the story is that we can always find something to argue about!  I have included a link to get you started on your research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment